Ground named after West Indies captain Sammy

Posted by Cakefesto Cakefesto

The West Indies T20 cricket captain Darren Sammy who led his team to victory in T20 world cup has received a rare honour. St. Lucia government has decided to re-name the Cricket Ground after him following the victory of the team in the just concluded World T20 in India.

The Beausejour Cricket Ground will now be known as the Darren Sammy National Cricket Ground. And one of the stands in the stadium to be named in honour of fellow St Lucian palyer and Twenty20 winner Johnson Charles. The announcement was made by the Prime Minister of St Lucia, Kenny D Anthony. Sammy, along with fellow St. Lucian Johnson Charles, returned to his state and they have received a heroic welcome at the Hewanorra International Airport where they were greeted by Prime Minister Kenny Anthony and other St. Lucians.

Sammy has expressed delight at the decision of the government. "I am truly honoured, I am humbled and blessed. Thank you, we always know St. Lucians love their own and the love and respect and admiration I have just received at the airport, oh my God, thank you very much".

This is the second world cup victory for Sammy as captain. Sammy was also the West Indies' captain when they beat then hosts Sri Lanka in the 2012 final in Colombo.

TAGS: West Indies captain, Sammy